Happiness for Mindfulness | Acheloa Wellness
Updated: Apr 2
Tomorrow is the International Day of Happiness. It’s an exciting day and I’m honored to share it with you. I specifically remember my happy day last year, as it was right around the time Cheryl and I first thought of Drink Your Juice as a means to make our world happier and healthier. I knew we were onto something great and the world was right there to support us!
For those of you thinking, “why haven’t I heard about this day?” or “how can I make tomorrow my happy day,” then I urge you to read on.
In 2012, the United Nations recognized the need for a more inclusive and balanced approach to wellness. In order to achieve this goal, the UN declared March 20th as the International Day of Happiness. This great day promotes sustainable development, poverty eradication, happiness and the well-being of all people… all core values of Drink Your Juice!
Make Your Happy Day Count!
If only for tomorrow, make happiness your first priority. When you put yourself first, you’ll quickly realize that you’re able to give more to others. You may notice your relationships with friends, family and colleagues become stronger. It may seem paradoxical, but try for one day and see for yourself!
Many of us aim to be happy and healthy, but we sometimes forget how to get there. Happiness seekers, Joey Toutounji and Andie Crook, shared 10 ways to achieve self-love and happiness. These ladies are co-hosts of Waffle Network’s, The Feel Good Podcast!
1. Start each day with a positive thought or affirmation – Circumstances changes daily; so do my affirmations. I have an arsenal of quotes that help me overcome the tough times and appreciate the good times. Find the ones that are right for you.
2. Take time out for you – Schedule “me time” daily/weekly and hold yourself to it! I created a recurring calendar invite, focusing on something I want to do, whether it’s a long walk or cooking something tasty. The activity can change from week to week, but what I don’t sacrifice is time for myself. I may be busy, but even 5 minutes of “me time” makes a big difference.
3. Relax – We spend a lot of our day in “alert mode” at work or the never-ending grocery store line. You owe it to yourself to unwind after a stressful day.
4. Care – Treat yourself to mind and body rejuvenation with a massage or other body treatment. This can get expensive quickly, but finding a great deal on Gilt City or Groupon can help.
5. Move your body – A little bit of exercise goes a long way. Walk the dog, bike to a friend’s apartment or head to the gym. Just move!
6. Meditate – Take time to reflect. If you’re not into meditation, try a silent walk or meditation class. Being present will help you appreciate life from a whole new perspective.
7. Gratitude – Regardless of the stressor or challenge at hand, there’s always something to be grateful for. On tough days, it may be difficult to find, but there has to be some good in every day. Appreciate the small things, such as a smile from a stranger or sunny weather.
8. Compliment yourself – May seem corny, but complement yourself when you do something great. Not only will this build your confidence, but also improve your happiness. Be proud of the things you do.
9. Just be – Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
10. Technology “free time” – If only for a few minutes each day, try disconnecting from your Android phone, iPad, and computer. Some of my greatest moments are when I’m unplugged from social media and able to enjoy a moment, without having to capture it through a camera lens. Even putting your phone on silent can make a difference.
Want to hear a replay of the podcast? Have a listen for yourself.
Try one or two of their suggestions and see how you feel. These 10 steps might be exactly what you need to take your happy day to the next level! On that note, go out and have fun! It’s your day. Seize it.
Feeling that you're not currently the happiest or best version of yourself? (No worries, it takes a lot to admit that and I've been there!) Click here to speak with a member from our team to learn how you can begin to rewrite the future of your wellbeing.
Podcast and photo credit thanks to Waffle Network and ModernMarried.com!